This gratifying concoction has a pleasing color, a luscious texture and a delectable taste. It goes well with sourdough bread, an old dog and a good friend.
1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
2 or 3 carrots
I sweet potato
¾ cup red lentils
½ teaspoon cumin
½ tsp turmeric
About 1 litre vegetable stock or water with stock cube
What do I do now?
- Chop onion, sweet potato and carrot and cook gently in oil on low heat for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric and cumin and cook for further minute.
- Add lentils, stock or water, bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, puree and season to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and a dollop of sour cream or yogurt, if desired.